Friday 23 March 2012

Revelations

It's been a big day for me.
I woke up at 4:30 am to the sound of our dog throwing up (he is fine now).
After clean up, I tried to sleep.
But had a revelation.
I need to eat meat.

This is something i've been thinking about for a while now. I've been a vegetarian for about 8 years, and never had the want to turn back until my body went crazy. Now with the autoimmune disease, i'm having trouble digesting things I normally would be fine with. I'm more sensitive to dairy, soy, gluten, etc. But worst of all, i'm having trouble really getting the protein my body needs. I've noticed this because i've been craving protein (especially meat) even when I know i've had a proper amount of legumes/nuts/soy/etc. I've been much more careful with making sure I get good quality protein, but it hasn't been enough. My body has been telling me this for a while now, I can see that after having eaten a tuna sandwich.

After some tears, some resignation, some thought and thanks to the animal, and some mixing I had a tuna sandwich made with sustainably caught tuna. I took a bite expecting revulsion and ended up wanting more immediately. I was planning on eating half a sandwich and seeing how it went but I ate the entire thing. It was delicious!

I felt a lot better after as well. My energy boosted, my joints relaxed a bit...over all I just felt better than I had in a while. I'm not sure if this was actually because of the fish or because my body is distracted by something new in it but i'm thankful for the break.

So for now I will move on to a new stage in life and eat fish again. Possibly poultry in the future. I don't think I could go back to eating red meat though....

No comments:

Post a Comment